Thursday, May 7, 2009

Open Letter

I try not to get too specific about my school, but when I read this letter from my boss, I had to share it with you all.  On tough days, like the ones I've had lately, it's good to be reminded what I'm working for and who I'm working with.

Dear Friends, Family and Fellow Supporters of Public Education,

Last weekend, I had the honor of being a member of the Summit Prep twelve-person team in The Relay (http://www.therelay.com/).  Beginning in Calistoga and finishing in Santa Cruz, our team ran 199 miles in just over 24 hours during this annual event.

Most people are surprised to hear of my participation in The Relay.  The common response is “I didn’t know that you run.”  And the truth is…I don’t.  Or at least, I never had before.  So what possessed me to sign up?

Every day I expect students to do things they have never done before.  I expect them to do homework, come to school, work together, exhibit character, prepare for college, graduate and go!  A good number of my students view this list in the same way I looked at a 16.5 mile run…impossible. 

Today, I can credibly say that with hard work and the support of Summit Prep’s team, the impossible is possible.  And, our students are proving this to be true every day.

·         100% of Summit’s graduates are eligible for UC/CSU acceptance

·         96% of Summit’s first three graduating classes have applied to and been accepted to at least one four year college

For those of us who have gone to college and succeeded academically, Summit’s statistics may not seem that impressive.  But consider them in contrast to what is happening state-wide:

·         35% of California’s high school graduates are eligible for UC/CSU acceptance

·         16% of 18 to 24 year olds in the state are enrolled in a four year college

The link between the relative success or failure of American public education and our country’s economic health and prosperity is undeniable (http://www.mckinsey.com/clientservice/socialsector/achievementgap.asp).  And, our current systems are incapable of producing the results we need, no matter the quality of the people working in them.

Seven years ago the founders of Summit Prep challenged me to build a model high school that could fundamentally improve public education.  We’ve done that!  Summit Prep is the game changing new American high school (http://www.summitprep.net/).  

If I am lucky, I have 35 years to replicate the model on a large scale.  It can be done, but I need your help.  Currently, I find myself in the all too familiar, desperate start-up mode.  We know from experience that in the early days every person can make a difference and that as a team we will succeed.  Please consider running a leg of our race to start replicating and build a second school, Everest.  Give what you can (http://www.thesummitinstitute.org/), then add your experience with Summit to this note, and pass it on to everyone you know who cares about public education and the future of our country.  The need is urgent, but the opportunity for success is great.

Thank you so much for your support.

With much respect,

Diane

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can

change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

- Margaret Mead

No comments: