Sunday, May 31, 2009

New Baby!


Here's the newest addition to the Dudley family (West Coast division).  Lightning (my VDub) already likes her and she made enough room for her in the back so she could come home today.  I'm trying to come up with a good name.  The only thing I can think of is "Long Tall Sally" and I just don't like the name Sally.  So, any suggestions are welcome.  I wanted to take her for a spin to the grocery store, but I need to get the right locking devices before we go galavanting.

How did I end up with an xtracycle?  Well let's flash back to this post.  I posted a picture of an xtracycle...without even knowing what one was at that point.  And that was before I started commuting on my bike.  Reading that post now, it's so funny how nervous I was about it.  I remember talking my friend and telling her I might be emailing her with questions.

So, it's been about five months of steady commuting and I just love it.  I am always excited to get on my bike in the morning (mixed excitement at the end of the day, but once I get on the bike, I'm happy).  So, I'm ready for a full on lifestyle change.  I loathe using my car for my one mile trips to the grocery store, so I wanted something that would those car trips out of my life.  And yes, I thought of getting a bubbe cart, but it's just a smidge too far for that.  Back in December, I started saving $1 for every mile I put on the bike instead of my car.  The fund was to go towards a fixed gear.  I drained the fun (save $60) for this bike.  It's a steal, given that I paid less for this than I would for just the xtracycle extention and bags.  What's cool is that this purchase will speed up my savings to get back up to the amount I need for a fixie.  That's fine anyway; I need more time to figure out exactly the fixed gear I want and I really want one to have in time for the rainy season out here.  So, if I have one by November, that will be perfect.

Now the question is...what will I name this cute thing and who will be the first to get a ride on the back?

Oh, and I still love my car.  I just only want to take it out for trips more than 15 miles one way.  If it's 15 and under, I think I should try to bike.  I got my road bike fixed.  Somehow, the screw I ran over went through the tire, tube, and rim!  It punctured my rim, but only a bit and the guy at the bike shop said I don't need a new one.  So, $44 later, I was riding again.  Not too bad, I guess.

2 comments:

Ali said...

That is just about the coolest thing. I want a picture of you riding it!

Bec said...

CONGRATS! YippyyyY! How fun!