Thursday, May 21, 2009

Free!


Today, I took a run in my new Nike Free 5.0s.  As you can see, no socks.  This is how I've been told to use the shoes.  I decided to do an experiment.  Left foot with BodyGlide, right foot was the control group.  And guess what?  My right foot has a blister on the arch.  Experiment conclusions: put on some BodyGlide with the shoes if you're going sockless.  And, it's pretty comfortable and preferable to go sockless in these shoes.

I've been wanting to try out the Frees for a while.  Granted, I'm on the heavier side for a female runner, but I do want to work on strengthening my feet and leg muscles as much as possible with the hopes of staving off injury.  I don't have enough grass in my backyard to get a running start and I don't like being barefoot on asphalt...and I really don't like being barefoot on cement.  So gross!  My opportunity came when I strolled into RRS and found these cuties in the back for $40.  

Nike Frees are built to simulate running barefoot, without you having to get splinters and glass in your foot (or the creepy feeling of cement underfoot).  They are incredibly lightweight, do not have a rigid heel to stabilize your ankle, and the tread is such that you can twist and move your foot in any direction.  I found them extremely comfortable to run in.  I could feel my feet and legs working hard, but not too hard.  I also felt fast.  These shoes are so light that I felt like I could really get my knees in the air and work today.

The shoes are built more for the neutral (regular arch) or underpronating (higher arch) runners.  I am not that runner.  However, I think if I use this for one or two short runs each week, I will get stronger.  We'll see.  They were $40 and when I bought them, I thought, worst case scenario, they become my grocery store shoes.  I love that pistachio color!

2 comments:

lucas said...

maura - are you more or less likely to roll over your ankle with these? I think I might wanna give 'em a go! -chris.

samkay64 said...

Dude, I love these!