Saturday, May 30, 2009

I Made It!

Today was pretty epic for me.

I got up and started getting ready.  I had to make it to San Mateo by 10:30am.  I was going to ride my bike.  It's 13 miles from my house to Bec's school.  I made it there in about 55 minutes.  I got there just in time for the tree planting with the mayor and then the kids had booths set up where they talked about their environmental research projects.  The kids were so cute and really had a lot of great things to say.  I asked every kid what changes they've made in their lives after doing these reports (about recycling, BPA, global warming, food, deforestation, etc.).  It's great to listen to kids talk about how they and their families are now thinking about the environment when they go about their day to day lives.


This was one of my favorite posters.  I love how different fifth graders are from 11th.

Then, I got back on the bike and rode the three miles to the San Mateo Fair Grounds to take in the Maker Faire.  I parked in the bike valet (should have taken a picture of the bikes there...they were amazing...some locked to the fence, but 3 feet up in the air and all kinds) and made my way in. I got a free ticket by signing up as an educator, but it's $15 this year versus the $25 last year.  Recession?  I bet they were scared that no one would pay $25 this year.



I came across this first.  What is it?  I'm not totally sure.  A wagon car?  Whatever it is, it is beautiful!


Here's the pen guy in front of his pen car.  Yes, those are pens glued all over his car.  The wheels are done with highlighters.  Totally awesome!


Pinwheels galore.  I mean, there was just one amazing creation after another.  This is the second event (the Pow Wow being the other) that I've thought my mom should be out here enjoying this with me.

From here, I made my way into the Bizarre Bazaar.  It was crafts, crafts, crafts.  T-shirts, belts, cards, yarn, plates, dresses, posters.  You name it and you could get it.  And pretty much all of it was so cool.  One of the best areas of the bazaar was the clothing swap.  People did not just swap clothes, but there were sewing machines and the like so you could create clothes as well, from the used clothes that were turned in.  

To one side of the sewing area were the people of Patchwerk Press.  You got in line with a piece of clothing, told them which screen you wanted, and they printed it on your clothes.  It was awesome.  I wish I had a spare shirt on me.


Screenprinting in progress.


If I had a shirt, I would have printed this on it and then worn it to the Newport Folk Festival.  Or a bike, which they had as well.




Another sweet shirt that I would totally wear.  I did commit to spending no money at this event.  



Hula hooping!  This was the stress relief area (as it proclaimed).  Since hula hooping only stresses me out more, I didn't give it a whirl.  Pun intended.


Another sign of the recession?



Piano Liberation Front.  As far as I could tell, this guy had rigged the piano to be played (the strings were strum by those mechanical things) by a computer.  I thought the t-shirt was funny.




The Whirl-a-Gig (not its real name) thing that was made my the father of my student.  He made it for Burning Man last year.  The base twists around and goes up and down the pole in the center.  The genius is in the roller blade wheels that help the base go up and around the pole...motion in all directions!


This was right next door and it was the most beautiful thing I saw at the Faire.  The craftsmanship was exquisite.  Two people sit in the seats and just rotate around.  The builder has to get the weights of the two people just right for it to work, which he does with weights and a fanny pack of rocks.



No idea what this is.  How do you transport something like this?



This guy had a typewriter.  His sign said: "Poem Store.  Your topic.  Your price."  So awesome!

I hit the road in an effort to make it to see "Up" in 3-D.  About three miles into the 6 miles to the theatre, something felt weird...my bike went ca-chunk ca-chunk ca-chunk.  I pulled over and I had a flat.  I've never had a flat before.  I started to change it (which I couldn't, because I have weird tire levers and I couldn't get them to work) and thought, "How could I get a flat tire?  This is so strange."  This is what I saw (sorry for the lack of focus).


A screw went straight in to my tire.  Through the tire, tube and rim.  I may need a whole new wheel as it put a decent hole in the rim of the wheel.  I put my bike over my shoulder cyclo-cross style and made my way to El Camino Real, hoping for a bike shop nearby.  I sprinted when I saw the bus and hopped on.  I took it to the theatre, found out the movie was sold out, so I ate pizza on the sidewalk instead.  I got back on the bus and rode home.  I'll have to take the wheel in tomorrow and see what they can do (this is beyond what I should be fixing...even though I was just at the maker faire and am both inspired and intimidated by the craftsmenship of people in this world).  I am most likely purchasing an xtracycle (bike and all) tomorrow, so I'll be fine to ride for the rest of the week.

I'm off to see Up in 3-D!  What a great day.  I'm tired and a bit sun-kissed, but feeling great.  Now if only my laundry were folded and my room was clean.  That will be my job tomorrow morning before work.

No comments: