Sunday, May 3, 2009

Done!

I finished.  I met none of my goals today, as my top goal was to finish uninjured.  I don't know if I'm actually injured.  We'll see how long the funny walking lasts.  I had a great 11 miles and a very good 2 after that.  Then, everything hurt.  Calves, hamstrings, and quads!  Another excuse for an "Oh my!"  My pace went from 8:25 to 10:00 in a hurry...and then 15:00.  Which is why I think I'm injured.  I've never had so many problems so early in a race.  Thanks to EH in the ATL who gave me this wise advice: if your race goals are nowhere in sight, have a plan to just high-five people or something.  So, that's what I did.  I was the smiley-est, happiest, cheeriest walker on that course.  I high-fived anyone who would let me.  My sister picked me up at mile 24...I told her not to get too excited about me running.  It probably wasn't going to happen until the end.  I took over the cowbell and rang myself in.  I probably annoyed everyone trying to finish, but the crowd in the last 1.2, during which I shuffled the whole way in, loved it.  4:20ish I think.  Gross.  I know so many of you will be like, "Oh but you finished and that's what counts."  That's BS.  Everyone knows I came here to run 3:40.  My legs, apparently, did not listen to the pep talk.  They were hurting, the poor things.  

No harm.  I enjoyed pretty much every second out there with the other runners.  But, I'll get you marathon.  And you're little dog too.  Watch out.

I don't have my phone on.  I need to enjoy me some Eugene right now as I only have a few more hours here.  I've already bought a few sweet t-shirts and we're going out on the town.  If I liked beer, I'd be buying.  I think I'll just have some seltzer.

Thanks to everyone who sent me good vibes today.  I felt them for sure!  Lots of love to you all.

5 comments:

Ed & Marisa said...

Congrats on the completion. And honestly you have to be happy with that. I remember a quote somewhere by someone saying sooner or later "the marathon WILL humble you" My first 2 I just ran and I'm planning on still another 10minute + improvement and at some point I know I'm going to be dragging myself with my arms after my achilles rolls up like a curtain with 10 miles to go. Hang in there and be glad you're living to run another day (in a couple weeks probably). Take care of yourself and thanks again for stopping by last weekend!

Eddiec-C

Bec said...

YAY! What a great attitude you had. There will be more marathons, for sure.

It sounds like high-fiving people and rining the cow bell for yourself sounds way more fun anyway :)

Ali said...

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(That is my virtual cowbell)

samkay64 said...

Rude legs!

I love the image of you smiling so big with that cowbell.

JPH said...

Hey there (s)Duds!

Sorry I haven't written sooner but I was thinking of you during your race and def. rooting for you. I agree with Bec, sounds like you transitioned to plan B well- which is a smart move- might as well enjoy the 26.2. Can't wait to hear which race you choose next. Roose has access to numbers for Chicago if you're interested. xoxo