Sunday, June 7, 2009

Taking Requests

I've been a little weepy these days.  No, it's nothing bad.  It's just that graduation is on Friday and my 16 "kids" are leaving the nest.  Actually, my 95 kids are leaving me.  Last year, I was indoctrinated into the Summit culture by the Class of 2009.  Sixteen of those students are my mentees.  And literally, they are like my kids.  I've vistited them when they were on pain killers after bike accidents, taken them to register for college, and pulled them by the ears to office hours to get their work done.  Last Friday, we had our awards ceremony.  What I love about my school is that we honor kids for being tops in their classes, but also for Perserverce, Wit, and our Core Characteristics (Compassion, Courage, Responsibility, Respect, Integrity, and Curiosity).  Five of my mentees received awards (out of about 9 or 10 senior awards).  They won awards for AP Statistics Student of the Year, AP Calculus Student of the Year (I swear, I had nothing to do with that except that I taught them last year), AP Government Student of the Year, Most Improved in the 12th Grade, and Perserverence.
 
Now, imagine if you had sixteen kids.  They probably wouldn't agree on anything...just like mine.  So, rather than try to figure out a present to give them that they all would like, I think I'm going to make them a CD.  It's very low cost and if they never listen to it, who really cares.  I have emailed all of them asking for their requests.  I am not confident that I'll get anything back from them...because they don't check email (although I did just break down and added one of my mentees on facebook to get the word out).

Soooo...what would you put on this mix.  I am looking for songs that make you dance/are about moving on/make you dance.  Right now, I have "Daylight," "Forever Young," and "Don't Stop Believin'."  Yes, it can be cheezy.  I'm looking for backup songs in case they don't come through with their 16 songs.

3 comments:

JPH said...

Is Lady Gaga to risque? I'm really into her right now.

Paper Planes- MIA (am I dating myself)

Live your life- TI (come on- this is too good!)

You're the inspiration - Chicago

sharon said...

Maybe too cheesy, but how about I Will Survive(I prefer the Gloria Gaynor original, but maybe the Cake version would go over better with the students).

Bec said...

Since we're on the cheese train, "Time of Your Life" : Green Day