Sunday, June 21, 2009

Longest Day


Happy Solstice to you all! I think I was meant to be a pagan, because I love both Solstices in a way that feels innate. I was working today, but as soon as my shift was over, I bolted for the Pacific. I read the paper while I watched the sun set. Around 8:32,the orb had disappeared.

My Solstice celebration was tame compared to what goes on around the world. On Friday, some Swedes stopped into the store. I started chatting with them and they mentioned that they would be celebrating the Solstice with a party, equipped with herring and vodka, as is common in their country. I'd have some vodka too if I had more than 18 hours of daylight. At some point, you probably just need something else to do.

Unfortunately, they days are about to get shorter, but it's summer. There's plenty of daylight for me!

1 comment:

Bec said...

I got to spend the winter solstice at Machu Picchu at the Sun Temple! Is there any other way to celebrate?! Although it the Southern Hemisphere's shortest day of the year, it ended up being my longest day as Adam and I caught three planes and waited in three airports! Ahh!