Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hot Tomales!

On Tuesday, I got up early and drove up north. Not too far, only about 80 miles to the Point Reyes National Seashore. The drive was gorgeous. There was not an ounce of fog in SF, so the GG Bridge was clear as day, and my drive on Route 1 was stunning. Like, "Keep Your Eyes On The Road!" stunning.



Here's my car. When you drive around in a car, you can take whatever you want. I've got...my bike and bike accouterments, 2 pair of hiking shoes, tent, sleeping bag & pads, and all the clothes I might need (except hiking pants...how did I not pack those?).


Oh man...it's like the California version of the "Wizard Of Oz!" I loved this field.


...especially because there were cows right across from it. If you know me, you know how much cows make me happy. And these are some of the supposed "Happy Cows" of California, who make our milk and cheese. These cows actually probably make my butter, since I often buy their brand. Point Reyes was once well known for THE BEST butter in the area. Now, I don't think anyone knows any butter from another, which saddens me.

I arrived at the trailhead of Tomales Bay around 9:30 and got moving. The farm buildings here are left over from another time...when farms ruled. I would love to return when this place is all green from the rain.

This was the view I saw for most of the hike. If this does not convince you that you need to see California, I don't know what will.


This is the other view I had for the entire hike. It's interesting to walk in a place with no trees. My East Coast sensibilities don't quite understand it yet. Everytime I hike, I think, "Who made this trail? Why is it going here and not over there? How did they make it?" I never have any answers to these questions, which is why I am interested in time travel.



Yippee! About 3 miles in, this sign came out of nowhere (well, the bushes were totally all over me). After this sign, the hike became a bristly car wash for my legs. The bushes were totally crowding the trail (where do they get off?) and I wasn't wearing pants. Somehow, I survived.



As I walked back, the woman ahead of me had the Elks in a staredown. This cracked me up. This is an Elk Preserve, too. They are beautiful, serene creatures, who were totally fine with humans walking all around their land. In fact, they seemed a bit nervous to get too close. Of the dozens I saw, only two had horns. I don't know why that is. Are there really only two adult males out there? Are the females okay with the polygamy? Again...so many questions.



Ah! I love seeing these animals almost as much as when I see cows.


Yay! I finished. I didn't go out all the way to the end because...1) You get the idea after a while and 2) the bristly leg car wash was not fun. I'm guilty of wearing my iPod, but only for the last 20 minutes. After a while, I just ran out of things to think about. I did listen to the Fresh Air show that was about The Colbert Report's trip to Iraq. I'll have to watch those episodes, as it seems like it was fun and awesome for our troops.

Things I love: My wool shirt. Keeps me so nice and dry and happy and I could wear you for days on end and you wouldn't stink. My MoeBen arm warmers that protect me from the sun andkeep me both warm and cool...I don't understand how they work like that. And, my Patagonia Catalyst pack. I got this on sale about a year ago because I was worried about what I would do when my "Old Faithful" wears out...I think that's way far down the line, but I still get nervous about stuff like that. Anyway, the Catalyst, which Patagonia foolishly no longer makes, is amazing. It fits my 100oz hydration bladder (Hydrate or Die!) and has two pockets on the waist belt. I basically never have to take it on or off my back for any reason, unless it's to change clothes. Genius!

On my drive home, I stopped at Whale of a Deli in Point Reyes and got a yummy sandwich and in Fairfax for an iced tea. Fairfax is the cutest darn town ever. I once saw some bluegrass there and it never fails to suck you in.

No comments: