Thursday, June 4, 2009

Getting Involved

Tonight, I went to a meeting for the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition.  I recently joined this organization because I am on my bike nearly every day and the work they do is helping me commute easier.

I wanted to go to this meeting to get the vibe of the organization (I've already really liked their work with Bike To Work Day and a bike parking lot at the Maker Faire) and see if there might be ways I can contribute.  There's definitely some regulars here, which is cool.  The people basically all knew each other, but were very welcoming to me.  I gave my input on seizing opportunities to get new members and ways to get "Share The Road" as clear as possible to all stakeholders.  Of course, someone immediately said, "Are you going to volunteer to do these things."  I have to remember that these people don't know me, yet.

Most of the people there were at least a decade older than I, but I enjoyed learning A LOT about the local agencies that are involved around here (C/CAG, BPAC, etc.).  I'm looking forward to seeing where this relationship goes with SVBC.  I'm inspired by the people who are doing so much bike advocacy.  I am interested in learning more about outreach to schools and how/if we can encourage more kids to ride to school and more parents to be excited about their kids riding to school.  As I've mentioned, it's a very popular way to commute for the younger set, but I think more can be done on that front to get more kids involved in healthy lifestyles.

I was on the road bike today, but I'll be xtracycling tomorrow as I have awards night and need to transport my dress, heels, and hair products.  It will redefine how I think about what can be done on a bike.  I may need to take an iron too...I need to be presentable for the parents when 6pm rolls around.

Yay for community!  

2 comments:

samkay64 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
samkay64 said...

And maybe at some point you can find someone/a few like-minded folks from this group to hang out with.

I would like pictures of you with all your bikes, b/c I need mental images of your bad-assedness.

(sorry, last post had an errrorrr)