Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Resolve Status

I resolved to do six things this year.  I'm not doing such a great job.

I haven't run in over 10 days.  I'll get to my goal of 1000 miles for the year, as I'm already at 700, but I'm feeling like a running slug.  And I have until Friday to decide if I'm going to do Chicago with TNT.  Yikes.
I have read 1.5 books.  That is sad.  I'm hoping for a productive summer on that front.
I'm not too pumped about turning 29 (but not too down about it either).
I have not yet gone to Half Dome (but I will...that is imminent...just waiting for school to be over).
I don't think I've been great about getting out on the weekends, but I haven't been a total hermit.

None of my goals is a complete wash yet, but I have work to do.  Buuuuuut...

Today, I put 28 miles on the Xtracycle, bringing my bike miles instead of car miles above 600 miles for the semester.  One goal has been met!  School and back and then errands around Palo Alto and then back to RWC for tutoring.  Woo hoo!  Like I said when I put down my 2009 goals, I planned to put $1 for every mile on the bike rather than the car in a bike savings account, which I did through the help of Greenlight.com and ING.  I just drained $500 of that for the Xtracycle, which was a bike set-up I had been eyeing for a few months and will immediately increase my bike miles (for example, I put at least 8 miles on the bike today that I normally would have driven, but I was able to use the cargo space for all the stuff I had to haul around).  I need to pimp out the new ride a bit...reflectors, bungee cords, a stash of tote bags, and a cup holder for when I'm cruising around this summer and want an ice tea at my fingertips.  Plus I need all the normal stuff...tubes, tire levers, bus fare, lights, and a locking system that fits the largess of the beast.

I still have my eye on a fixie.  That will likely come in the next 6 months...or really, whenever I have enough money back in the account.  I'm actually happy to have more time to decide on the best bike for me.  There are just so many sweet choices out there, but I'm learning that I probably want a bike that looks plain and not flashy.  No one wants their trusty bike to be stolen (speaking of which, I registering my bikes asap).  And there are a lot of American made bikes and local (as in SF) companies that would be great to support.

And I really hope that the the PHIT Act (House Bill 2105, The Personal Health Investment Today Act) goes through, which would allow for pre-tax money to go towards athletic expenses...like bikes (but not running shoes).

1 comment:

Chris Bagg said...

Some thoughts.

1: TrainingPeaks.com. If you're focused on miles logged, it's a great place to keep track/keep focused/stay motivated.

2: I've been talking to someone recently, professionally, and do you think you might be judging yourself too much?

3: If you haven't already leapt in with TNT for Chicago, there's a reason for that.

4: Buy a fixie on Craigslist, and make sure it's beat to hell. A track bike is your best bet.

Hope you're well, Dude.

Chris