Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Round and Round We Go

Bec and I headed out early to get to Angel Island for some fun. Here we are, waiting with a church youth group for the ferry to arrive. The Tiburon ferry was unloading and the high school kids were clapping and going nuts for the people getting off, yelling "You're awesome! Have a great day! Woo hoo!" It was like these people were movie stars to them (now for those of you who don't spend your lives with teenagers, they were just kids being funny and silly).



Here's this guy, taking in the crowds adoration.


That's where we're going. That's Angel Island! It used to be an army base, but now it's just a park. It's awesome how it's basically still how it was when the Miwok Tribespeople were going there to fish.


Yeah, I always have some sort of dumb look on my face, but here we are...having some fun as we ride around the circumference of the island.



Woo hoo! I love my bike! It's so handy for going fast and seeing a lot of the world in a short amount of time. The Perimeter Road on Angel Island is about 5 miles around. We did it twice and then we were pooped. I know, kind of lame, but Bec just got back from Peru and I...have few excuses.

On the bike ride back, I crashed on Embarcadero. Not the best place to sprawl out on the pavement. I was going less than 10 miles an hour when my wheel went into the trolley tracks and stayed there. It took me down, right in front of a car. The car was hardly moving too, so nothing bad happened, except my knee is now twice the size of the other one and I have road rash for the first time in my life (this just days after saying to my boss, "I've never experienced road rash." Speak of the devil!). Shortly after this incident, some guy on a sweet single speed pulled up next to us. I told him I liked his bike, then he asked if we were playing hooky. Turns out that he was.


Huh. It actually doesn't look as bad as it feels. That's good.

Tomorrow I drive to Yosemite for a day of just poking around. I'll be resting up for Friday, which will be 14-16 miles of Half Dome awesomeness. I am ready. If I remember, I may even shoot some video of the journey. I love Yosemite. It's just an amazing place that humbles me every time I'm there.

Okay, I have a few things to do before bed and I still want to bike downtown for the block party in The 'Lo. I have no idea what I'm going to do there, but I am going to get some cheese, I think.

No comments: