Tuesday, December 16, 2008

To Michelle

To My Readers: Yesterday, I got two calls from Framingham High School while I was teaching. It seemed peculiar because I do keep in touch with my former colleagues through email, but talk to them on the phone very seldom. I didn't see the missed calls until after my movie and as a result, I didn't sleep too well. I got to school this morning and frantically tried to call everyone at FHS to no avail. After some research, I learned that my dear colleague, Michelle Chouinard, lost her battle with breast cancer on Monday at the age of 31. My friend here at Summit suggested I write a letter to try to come to terms with the loss and also the trouble with not being able to be there. Here is my letter to Michelle.

Dear Michelle,

I'm not sure I ever completely expressed what you meant to me as a colleague and a friend. As Joe (next to me in the picture) always said, you were a big part of the heart and soul of our department. You were always showing your spirit for math and the Flyers. You opened up your classroom and your house for department gatherings and were always available to chat during our free periods. You were and will continue to be an inspiration to me for putting kindness above all things and for embracing the Framingham community completely. And, of course, you were one of the strong women from whom I learned how to keep Paul in check. This picture is from the Fall of 2004...the first Friday of the year that we had our new math shirts. It seems like yesterday. Mr. Lee doesn't look any older now than he did then.

Last year, when I was no longer teaching at FHS, I was heartbroken when I heard you were diagnosed with breast cancer. We exchanged lots of email that year and you kept us all up to date on your surgeries through the hospital's care website. It was hard for me to be so disconnected from the community that embraced me so much during my first four years of teaching, but every time I came back, you were all there to welcome me home. On each visit, I was always amazed at your resilience and how hard you were fighting cancer and not at all surprised that the school was supporting you so completely. The whole department was amazed and inspired as well, dying their hair pink and raising money for cancer research. I think it was in April when I came back and got to see you. I was surprised you were there on a Friday, as you usually were at the hospital, but you were the picture of positivity and optimism. I had a long talk with Paul about you and he said, "You never really know how strong someone is until they go through something this hard. I always knew Michelle was tough, but she is tougher than anyone else I know. She is the one keeping everyone here positive about her fight with cancer." I can't think of a higher compliment than this. Of course, you were a great teacher, a dedicated coach, a collaborative colleague, and a loving sister, aunt, and daughter, but what I will remember most about you is that when things got hard, you were the person that everyone hoped they would become when faced with something difficult. I know I have a long way to go in that respect, but I will think of you often and try to channel your strength during hard times.

It's hard to imagine the FHS community without you, but we have all learned so much from you about how to be good people that I know you will be remembered for years to come (especially if Paul and Sarah have anything to do with it!).

I will miss you greatly and think of you often. Thank you for everything you gave to me during our time together.

Math love,
Maura

No comments: