Monday, December 29, 2008

Resolve

There are a lot of things I think about during the Jewish New Year as far as who I want to be.  But, as the other New Year approaches, I start to think in more concrete terms.  As in, actual items to check off a list.  Here are some goals:

Read at least 12 books.  This doesn't seem hard given that I can read, but when you also try to read the whole paper every day, run, and get nine hours of sleep, the time for books is the first to get cut.  So, I'll set a goal of a certain number.  Yikes, looks like something's got to give to fit all this in.  I've been reading quite a bit over break and it's just a great way to spend the day, especially a cold one.  I have a long list on my "to-read" list, but I'd love any suggestions.

Put at least 600 commuting miles on my bike instead of my car during the next semester.  I can't plan much farther ahead than that, as I don't know where I'm going to live or work, but I'm excited about this goal.  Again, this takes away from the time to read and write letters (my stationery is so neglected!) and I'm feeling like I need a daily agenda to work all this out.  600 miles means about 3 school days a week on my bike.  This will be easy because, to be honest, I'm hooked on my bike.  Once I start riding, I just can't stop.  I just got a new saddle today that I hope will revolutionize the time spent off my bike (that is, the ability to sit down after the ride).  I'm also thinking that I might also put aside $1 for each mile I put on my bike, towards a single speed fixed flip-flop hub bike.  Masi, Speciale Fixed Bianchi Pista, Specialized Langster, Schwinn Madison...so many bikes to be excited about!

Run at least 1000 miles, injury-free.  The number of miles should be pretty easy, as I've done more than 960 this year, and that was with about 6 weeks off out of the 52.  Injury free is always a tight line for me to...run.  My left foot was injured shortly after the half marathon and now my right foot is "making some noise."  How does any injury just change feet like that?  It's been so darn cold here that I can't really feel anything.  And I'm about 30 seconds per mile slower here than California.  Maybe I'll have to stay there until I become a "sometimes runner."  I am not trying to be crazy addicted to running, but I try to live by the philosophy of consistency.  That's really all I want.

Get out more on the weekends.  This is a tough one as I usually spend Saturday in a post-run coma and Sunday drowning in the NYT.  Additionally, I've tried to cut back on my driving this fall, which has meant less time out in the world.  There were so many weekends this fall when I wanted to just drive to Yosemite or the coast or just hike somewhere, but didn't want to spend the fuel.  I anticipate one of two things will happen, that I will use my saved miles from cycling as get-out-there miles or I will become obsessed with using anything but my car.  Now, the thing I have to figure out is how to meet people while being out there.  Maybe I'll start with one weekend a month and work up from there.

Be happy turning 29.  This will be the hardest I think.  I have six months to feel good about it.

Half Dome.  After the marathon, I'm going!  And I have brandy-new hiking/snowshoeing poles to get me up there. 


What's on your list?

2 comments:

LD9 said...

I'll come to Yosemite! Wawona?

samkay64 said...

I loved this post.