Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Being Cold While Sweating

Today, it was 37 degrees when I went out for my run.  And dark...but it's always dark.  Of course I have run in colder and Schlotty is not even reading this right now because she's shoveling herself out of her house so she can get her run in, but this is the first time it's been below 42 for my morning jaunt.  My legs were chilly!  Good thing I was moving quickly.  I have been loving my runs recently because I have a new 6-mile route that goes down some really cute streets and I get to catch up on "On Point."  It's just grand.  My foot still hurts, but not while I'm running and not all the time...but I can feel a little pain now...I'm just sitting down.  My calves hurt during my runs, but also not all the time.  I love how I have these intermittent injuries that are mysteries.

Today was also the first day commuting on my bike.  It was the best thing ever!  I was much happier for much longer into the day than usual.  My commute, which takes about 15 minutes when I leave in the 7 o'clock hour took around 25 minutes on the bike.  I actually didn't look at the time this morning to know for sure, but I do know that it took less than 30 minutes this morning and 23 minutes this afternoon.  Holy cow!  

It was light out when I left at 7am and I left school at 3:45, so I will be interested to see what riding in the dark is like tomorrow night when I come home at 5pm.  I was cold on the morning ride despite the fact that I try to bundle up as much as possible.  It was my toes, thumbs (weird), and my legs that were cold.  Of course my torseau was nice and cozy.  I was wearing my school pants, which I may have to adapt if it gets much colder, but I had thick wool socks on and my windstopper gloves over my cycling gloves.  Once I fix that stuff, I think I can make this happen at least 3 days a week.  I have to figure out how to schlep more of my stuff when I need to so that I can bike five days a week.  I also need to get myself ready for the rain that's coming next week.  I'm lamenting the idea that my bike will turn into a commuter.  I really don't want to put fenders on it, but I might just have to or I might have to go to school in actual cycling clothes or else adapt my clothes to be more bike friendly.  I just have to remind myself...this is so much better than using petro.  

I saw one beautiful Masi fixed gear at the bike store when I went to buy more safety lights. By the way, I better be glowing for the money I've spent on this stuff.  I also better be alive.  Anyway, I have always wanted a single speed.  I don't really care if it's fixed or not, but I do want a single speed and this bike had me at hello and right now, Bianchi's line-up does not include a single speed (what? but I want a Pista mommy).  I want to make it perfectly clear that I have about no business riding a fixed gear bike or even a single speed.  That's way out of my league.  These bikes are for people who know and ride bikes.  They are for people who look cool when they roll up one pant leg.  They are for people who can name some parts of a bike.  I don't even know how to change a flat (yes, I've seen it done, but given that my engineering degree failed me today when I tried to put batteries in my new light, I'm not sure I'd be able to change a bike tire on my own), so I don't think I have any business owning a nice new bike that I would also have no idea how to maintain.  I missed that lesson.  But I can dream...as I've been doing for the last 5 years or so.  Maybe one day.  In the meantime, I will hope my cleats stay screwed into my shoes and that my tires stay unscathed.

On another note, I have now heard Mike Huckabee twice in the last week: once on NPR and once on the Daily Show.  Now, I don't really know too much about him and I do not agree with his politics per se, but he seems like a really honest, straightforward guy.  How did JMc beat him?  Politics confuses me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Masi is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hey, there are no minimum requirements for getting a bike you like. You like? Got the coin? Then get it and learn as you go! (I vote for the SS, not fixie, BTW and FWIW).
---
www.singlespeedrevolution.com
Ride One or Ride None!

Amy said...

Congrats on a successful commute! I saw this post and thought of you:
http://joannagoddard.blogspot.com/2008/12/winter-cyclists.html

I want to get some Yak tracks...I can get out of the driveway, but it makes for a treacherous run due to the ice!

samkay64 said...

Maura, I've had bike lights on my nightstand for close to a month now b/c I can't get the dang covers off to get the batteries in! Why is it so hard? I laughed (and felt validated) that you also had trouble!

I am also excited about your new way to commute to work.