Friday, December 26, 2008

Reviews

1. Revolutionary Road - Good acting by DiCaprio and Winslet, but pretty intense content, therefore, not my favorite.  I actually got through this movie without having to hide my eyes, so it wasn't scary, but not the feel good movie that I'm usually looking for.  I also really don't like movies about unhappy marriages.

2. Slumdog Millionaire - This picture is absolutely excellent.  Of course, I love Indian music and culture, but I think this is a movie that everyone will enjoy.  I don't think I have any better words than have been said about this movie, so I will just advise that you go see it.
3. GoLite HydroSprint - I requested this from my sister for Chanukah, after reading about it on Runnersworld.com.  Once upon a time, I used a Fuel Belt, but it didn't quite fit right or sit still on my waist.  So, I thought I'd try this pack after reading the review and seeing lots of people wearing them.  Today, it was great for 14 miles (and what's great is that I didn't run more than 14), no slipping or discomfort at all.  I didn't even notice water sloshing around.  This is a great product!  Today was also a good test of my ability to hydrate.  For the past six months, I've been getting cramps whenever I drink water on a run (even the slightest bit).  Today, all went well on my Westborough tour.  It was a fun route, past all the houses of my high school friends, MG, MD, LO, CKB & AWB, AS and bros, AP & SP, RI, AD, and more.  It was a long run for me, and slow, but I was happy with my water and my Dirtbag Diaries.

4. The Long Green Line - This is a new documentary about a high school cross country team in Illinois and their famed coach, Joe Newton.  The team is followed for their 2005 season and their quest for the 25th title in the coach's 50th year coaching at York Community High School.  I was totally weepy watching this coach take everyone in who wanted to run.  Cross country is one of those sports that includes everyone but is probably the most honest.  The clock does not lie.  It's a great glimpse into what it means to be a great coach and what it means to be a team.  And the quote that I'll remember: "It's not about finding the right person, it's about being the right person."  It's not a movie for everyone, but if you like cross country, you'd like this.

5. The Dirtbag Diaries - I'm totally addicted to this podcast and it made my 14 miles today very enjoyable.  For a long time, I refused to run with my iPod, so I could just enjoy the running and hear the world.  I still feel strongly about the need to unplug, but I also need more hours in the day.  Listening to my podcasts while I run has definitely increased my efficiency.  The other day, I started my listening of TDD with "No Car, No Problem," "O Tannenbaum," and "Friendship is a Used Bicycle."  These are all great stories.  Fitz Cahall, the host, is nearly the outdoorsy version of Ira Glass.  Today, I enjoyed "Bedtime Stories for Wanderers," "Help Wanted," and "Earth Throne," among many more to get me through the miles.  I'm not a climber, never have been, but many of these stories are not about climbing, and the ones that are, are about life and what makes people want to do what they love.  And apparently, my friend Brandon knows about TDD (he's a friend of Cahall's on Facebook), but hasn't enlightened me yet.  Brandon, are you really friends with him or just Facebook friends?  Anyway, check out some of the stories I mentioned.  I don't think they will disappoint.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Maura,

I am sort of real friends with Fitz Cahall. He was a student of mine in MCS 15 at Chewonki. The class only had 4 kids in it, so we got to know each other pretty well. When you mentioned the Dirtbag Diaries the other day, it sounded familiar, but I didn't recognize it until you mentioned Fitz.

I haven't actually seen Fitz in years, but I still like him, so I guess we can be considered friends. I'm not generally interested in rock climbing, but I'll have to give the podcast a listen.

Ali said...

We loved the Long Green Line! It was inspiring as well as heart wrenching (especially seeing many of the top runners fall from grace). We missed you this holiday!