Sunday, December 7, 2008

Scrambled Zip Codes

My mom sent me a funny email yesterday with a list of places she could move to if she'd just scramble her zip code.  So, I decided to try it.  Of course, I'm a total math nerd, so the first thing I did was to come up with the 120 combinations when rearranging my 94025 zip in an excel file.  I saved it so I don't have to do that again. 

Here are some of my favorite finds:

95024 Hollister, CA  Like the clothing company.95240 Lodi, CA  Like the CCR song.  
90245 El Segundo, CA  The second!
92054 Oceanside, CA  I've driven through here.  It is relatively oceanside, but not pretty, as far as I'm concerned.

02459 Newton, MA  Yay Mass!
05492 Waterville, VT  I could probably live in a farmhouse here.
09524 Military...on a ship somewhere  Really...I looked this up.

24059 Bent Mountain, VA  I like the name of this and would like to see the reference.
24049 Comfort, VA  Sounds really nice, doesn't it.
20549 DC  Our country's capital!  I would love to run among history.
24095 Goodview, VA  Also, a great name for a place.  I hope it's pretty there.

49502 Grand Rapids, MI   I've never been to Michigan.  I'm not sure Grand Rapids would be my style, but I'm sure they've got something there to see.
40295 Louisville, KY  Also never been to Kentucky.  I could see how the bats are made!

59024 Custer, MT  Oooohh...this place is in Yellowstone County.  I would love to live on a ranch or a farm.  They only have 145 people in this town.  That's amazing!
52409 Cedar Rapids, IA  I could caucus!!!!
54209 Egg Harbor, WI  Another great, great name.  This place is on a finger of land that faces the Green Bay on one side and Lake Michigan on the other.
54902 Oshkosh, WI  They have some decent cross country teams at UW here.


So those are my favorites on the list.  I think I'd enjoy a road trip following my zip code combos across the country.  I'm not sure how I'd get to the military ship, but I'm okay with leaving that out.  

Oh, and did you know that there's a place called Dairyland, CA?  I found this out by looking up where my beautiful eggplant came from.  They were from Madera (one of the most beautiful places to drive through in March), and when I looked it up on the map, I found Dairyland right nearby.  Both are right along the route I take home from Yosemite, but I've never actually seen Dairyland.  I think I would love whatever happens there.

My eggplant became this today:


RATATOUILLE!!!  One of my favorite dishes, this one is Nigella Lawson's with butternut squash.  It is the perfect dish to keep you cozy on a winter day and it makes everyone jealous at lunch.  I like it served over whole wheat couscous.

No comments: