Sunday, December 14, 2008

Really?!?!

Okay, so I've stolen the title of this post from Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers from SNL.  They did a hilarious thing on Blagojevich this weekend.  There's a lot to be confused about in this crazy, crazy world, but one of the craziest, in my opinion, has to do with laundry.  I am a pretty committed line-dryer.  I haven't always been so good about it, but every since I heard how horrible home dryers are for the environment and the longevity of our clothes, I have tried to at least limit my use.  I've used a dryer for only 20 minutes since last April or so.  Why 20 minutes?  Well, you see my friends, the Bay Area is now deep into the soggy, wet winter season.  Even when it's sunny, it's just damp here and my clothes are just not really getting dry.  Even after being outside on the line for a week, they still feel damp.  So, my cotton stuff got 10 minutes this weekend and last.  I'm not psyched about turning on the dryer.  I actually hate the machine as I equate it to an SUV, but I know that my view is nearly completely shaped by my ability to line dry things most days of the year.  I am not here to convince you to stop using your dryer.  I am here to remind you that people are crazy.

Some facts: 
Florida's state legislature has granted broad rights to homeowners to hang their clothes.  Others aren't so lucky.  In fact, I think my mom is going rogue in her neighborhood, where she's not "allowed" to hang laundry.
There's an organization called "Project Laundry List" to advocate for people to be able to hang their laundry.  

I honestly feel like this is a sign of The Apocalypse.  When did seeing laundry on the line become "unsightly?"  To be honest, I'd love to see people's underwear out on the line with everything else...that means they are actually wearing it and then washing it!  I think the problem is that there are a good many places in our country where the following things have happened: people are living too close to each other, all the trees have been cut down in order to build houses, and/or people do not know their neighbors.  First, I believe that when people don't have enough personal space, they have a hard time when other people try to do "personal" things near them.  I know I feel this way.  Second, when you live in a house with no trees, everyone can see everything. If we all had more of the original forest surrounding our houses, no one would be able to see our laundry.  And finally, When you know your neighbors, it's not that big of a deal to see their laundry.  

Next thing you know, people are going to be required to close their window shades at all times, lest we be able to see anyone living life.  How am I going to grow up and not be cynical?

No comments: