Thursday, December 18, 2008

Jack Frost and Bear Hugs

Two days in a row of near freezing temperatures.  Today, the temp was 34 for my run (by "felt like 30" according to weather.com).  There was ice on my driveway actually and car windows were frosty.  Again, I love the Californians who dump water on their cars to defrost their windows.  That's how my uncle shattered his windshield once upon a time in Colorado.  My bike ride to school was chilly...toes again, but not too bad.  I'm getting the hang of this whole thing.  The ride home was HOT!  It was probably in the mid 40's and I wore the same clothes home and was sweating like crazy.  Then I nearly blinded my dry cleaner when I walked in and forgot my lights were on.  Whoops!   Should be raining tomorrow.  They didn't have the right type of fender for my bike, so I'm going to get wet.

Today was the last "Student of the Month" for the semester.  I gave mine to a student who has a bit of Asberger's and thus, he is one of the most friendly, "I don't care what anyone thinks of me as I stretch so everyone can see my belly" kind of kids.  Today, I wrote him a limerick. I can't remember the first line but the rest was:

Your math is always done with such pride
Your classmates can attest
You're one of the best
Your enthusiasm will never be denied

The crowd went wild, the kid comes up to the front and has his arms wide open and says, "Come here," like I'm his granddaughter (he is about 4 inches and 50 pounds bigger than me, at least).  He gives me a huge hug and then lifts me up off the ground.  Think: grandfather or dad hoisting up a young child.  I have never been a part of something like that.  My students drove me absolutely insane today.  I had kids late to class and they didn't even care, kids defying me and blatantly eating whole burritos in class, swastikas and other hateful things written on our grade level evaluations, and it goes on.  The bear hug really helped. I really have never seen one of our students so proud and thankful to get Student of the Month.  I wish it was on video.  I love that the last line of my limerick was evidenced in full to the entire school.  What enthusiasm!

No comments: