Thursday, December 4, 2008

'Tis The Season


So I guess you could call me an environmentalist...at least in lifestyle (I still haven't turned the heat on...I just put on more clothes and maybe one of these).  And I'm a Jew.  But, for some reason, I love Christmas lights.  The best thing about my runs these days is seeing the lights around the neighborhood.  I'm not really sure why one needs to leave them on all night, but I'm not really complaining.  It makes my dark morning runs a lot more interesting.

By the way, what am I going to do in New England?  Currently, the coldest I have run in is 42 degrees.  How can one prepare to run in colder weather?  I can prepare for warmer weather by wearing more clothes...I can't imagine wearing less clothes to prepare.  The good thing is that I won't have to run at 5am, so I can wait for the high of 36 degrees each day.  I'm excited to see what the coldest temperature I will run in this California winter will be.  Will it be below 32?  Doubt it.  I think the coldest it's ever been in The 'Lo is 15 degrees.

Despite what you might think, it does seem like winter out here.  Nowadays, most mornings are incredibly foggy and moist.  After my runs, my clothes are damp...but it hasn't been raining and I'm not sweating all that much...the moisture just sits in the air.  The fog and clouds linger into mid-morning.  Most days, it gets sunny eventually, but the mornings...ahhh...I love them.  I love running the streets, through the low, rolling clouds of mist.  And I'm glad to be in the dark, even though dawn is my favorite time.  While I don't see too many people, there are a few "regulars" out there every morning.  I hope I don't weird them out too much.  I have been wearing my running headband so that it is angled down to cover my mouth and goes up above my ponytail.  Not only does this still keep my ears warm, but it also warms the air that I'm sucking in, which makes my asthmatic lungs a lot happier.  Last year, I ran for months at a warm gym and when I went home and ran in the freezing Connecticut weather, I was wheezing for the next 24 hours.  My lungs were not prepared for the cold air.  Thank goodness my sister drives around with a nebulizer!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'Member when we went to the Matzah Ball (I still cannot even think that title without saying in a New York accent) and we left early to walk down Comm. Ave. to look at all the lights? That was a nice night.

What's up with like nobody showing Christmas cheer in SF?