Sunday, December 14, 2008

Some Favorites

There's nothing more exciting than when one of your favorite artists comes out with a new record because they are out and about promoting it. I've written a few times about the fabulous Joshua Radin and I'm doing it again. I love his new album and it's been fun to see him on Conan, hear him on The Mountain Stage, and just this week he was on Carson Daly's show. The song he sang that night is my favorite, called "You Got Growin' Up To Do." He recorded it with Patti Griffin, who is another great singer/songwriter, and their voices work perfectly together. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this track in the past two months. My car's CD player is almost permanently on track 9 and what I miss most about driving around in Little Miss Lightning is belting out this song. It's illegal to wear headphones on a bike and so my commute is now quiet. That is kind of bumming me out.  I mean, how much alone, quiet time do I really need in my life?!?!

You can see Mr. Radin signing my favorite song (it's his favorite too apparently) with someone else on Carson Daly here. I like the album version better, but not everyone can be Patti Griffin. JR is going on tour starting in January with Dar Williams, but alas, he is not touring his own state of residence. That gets a big thumbs down from me.  If only the Ft. Laudie concert was on a weekend...

This American Life seems to be in reruns, but this week's podcast is my all-time favorite show.  "20 Acts in 60 minutes" is the show that got me hooked on Ira Glass.  I suggest you take a listen by downloading the podcast on iTunes.  Whenever I need a pick-me-up, I give this episode a listen and have a laugh about Pasta Batman and babysitting.  And while you're at it, give them a few bucks to keep the stories coming because last week's "Heretics" show was also excellent.

Tomorrow I'll be running a "new" course around the neighborhood.  It's only "new" because I've never done a 7 mile course using the beloved Bay Laurel St. so I've done some adaptation to get the right mileage.  Now you know what I'll be listening to as I run what I think is my first run in the rain since April in Boston.  

And a shout out goes to the band "Vampire Weekend."  They are getting a lot of press these days and it's deserved.  The song "The Kids Don't Stand a Chance" is my recommendation.

No comments: