Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Wednesdays in January

So, while most students are not in academic classes, there are some who will be. At my school, kids can't get F's and stay at the school (an F is 69 or below). They also can't miss any homework or other assignments So, any kids who are failing a course or who have failed a mastery assessment during the semester or owe work come to afternoon sessions during January to try to meet the standards. So, never fear, the kids who need it are getting math once a week for two hours. I spent all yesterday making folders for each kid and planning my lessons. I'm excited for the opportunity to work with these kids.

We have a brief break right now and we spent the morning thinking about the big ideas of Ted Sizer, Linda Darling-Hammond, and Bill Gates, three big players in the small school/school redesign movement (Bill mostly for his money). So, we looked at their principles and thought about them in the context of our school and also where we are now and where we want to go. Awesome!

Day 4 of the cleanse is going well. Subsisting on only liquid is not that exciting and I'll look forward to when it's over in a week, but I'm feeling great. Unfortunately, I have gone to bed late the past two nights, which does not mesh well with having to get up two or three times a night to go to the bathroom. If I had more sleep under my belt, I think I would feel even better. I'm just tired. I think the worst part of the cleanse is definitely forcing myself to drink salt water in the morning (I just don't like it). Well, that and waking up a few times during the night. But, other than that, it's going well. I'm supposed to do this for 10 days, which I know I can do. The questions now are: do I do it longer and what am I going to eat after it's over. The originator of the cleanse is all about no meat and no dairy. Obvi, I don't eat those together, but I'm not sure I can give up those foods together.

Back to work!

1 comment:

Rebeccstar said...

Hey! I too am cleansing! AND, I am also on day 5! Not too bad now, though I still dream about pizza! I totally agree, the salt flush is the worst part of it! On day 2 I tried to chug the salt water to get it over with, and ended up puking. There is one word of caution;) Glad that you are cleansing with me!