Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mole-skeen

Apparently, I reference my Moleskin by its brand name quite a bit. Most people might say, "let me write that down." I say, "let me write that down in my Moleskine." Anyway, my Moleskine is one things that I have with me at all times (except I don't always bring it into school). But it's always in my purse, when I go hiking, or when I used to go on big walks through Boston. It's go everything in it...addresses, grocery lists, books and CDs I want, notes from lectures I've attended, trip notes, "diary entries" and on and on. It's basically a chronological catalogue of my life. I need a new one, which I will get tomorrow. I'm going to get two so I have "an heir and a spare" as mom would say.

What's funny about these notebooks is how particular people are about them. I have many friends who have them. Two friends of mine prefer the graph paper notebook. I prefer lined notebooks--a small one for everyday stuff and a larger one for my running log. Another friend also has a few going at once--vocabulary, quotes, workouts, and his everyday one apparently has a few blank pages at the front so he can index it. Genius! I am also very particular about writing in it. While I'll write anything, but it must be in black rollerball pen. I don't use pencil. I don't use ballpoint. And I don't use blue. Some of you are unsurprised, I'm sure, to know that I have clear rules about these things.

I've just learned about the City Moleskine. They have them for a few cities, including NYC, Boston, and SF and it's basically a way to organize information you gather about that city. It has maps, tabs, removable pages, sticky notes. I have to see this first hand because I'm in shock right now. It makes me want to live in one of these cities. I'm dreaming of being at the 2012 Olympics in London with one of these notebooks, documenting everything!

Other things in my purse at all times:
Headlamp (needs new batteries or a new bulb or something)
Water bottle (Kleen Kanteen...which I have yet to rant about)
A book (currently On The Road and Straight Man...trying to decide)
coupon file
iPod
GPS (new addition, which comes in handy when wandering around an unfamiliar city)
mobile phone
keys
stationery and stamps (most of the time...I don't always replenish my stash in a timely manner)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just got my new one- weekly planner on left side of the page and notes on the right! the limited edition red was a big decision/adjustment but its growing on me. now if i could stop writing the same to-do list multiple times a day that would be awesome!

Amy said...

bless you - i think you are the only other person (besides myself) that has a coupon file! :) Organized and tabbed, of course.

Hope you are well.