Thursday, January 24, 2008

In My Ears

I've been in mix-making mode for a few months now. I'm never sure if the recipients really like what I've created, but at least I do. Somehow, despite feeling so busy, I'm finding new music and also rediscovering music that I haven't listened to in a while. So, I thought I'd review some things. Not much detail, just a thumb's up from me.

"Look at Miss Ohio" by Gillian Welch from Soul Journey. Awesome song, awesome name for a CD. I was obsessed with this song back in Jan 2004 and it still makes me stop and listen. The whole album is quite impressive as well.

The Great Lake Swimmers and their CD Ongiara. I love "Your Rocky Spine," "Changing Colours," and "Where In The World Are You," but honestly the whole album is great.

A friend gave me a bunch of Lucinda Williams tunes. Among them, "West" and "Are You Alright?" are my current favorites.

"What Light" from Wilco's Sky Blue Sky. I actually haven't listened to the rest of the album, despite buying it as soon as it came out, but this song has been on repeat for a few days.

"Like U Crazy" from Mates of State, a married couple who performed this song when I saw them on the This American Life tour.

"I Was Born On A Train" by The Magnetic Fields. Another song that's been in my collection for many years, but always resurfaces.

No comments: