Friday, November 28, 2008

You Can Stop Fretting About The Elites

I'm not sure why I was so worried about the elite runners regarding yesterday's course.  They were doing the 5K, rather than the donkey show 10K.  I wish I had stuck around for their race, but it started more than 45 minutes after I finished and I still had to go to the grocery store.  I had no idea what to expect there.

The men's race was won by Scott Bauhs.  This guy is amazing.  He won yesterday's 5K in 13:37.  That's 4:24 pace (which means he was running at about twice the speed of me)!  He won by one second, in front of a Kenyan!  Bauhs is a Senior at Chico State and from nearby Danville.  He broke four minutes in the mile last spring, won the Div II Cross Country Nationals a week ago, and was named the Div II Cross Country Athlete of the Year (among many other great running accomplishments).  He is forgoing the rest of his eligibility in order to turn pro.  Good luck Scott!  I'll be looking for your name.  Olympian Gabe Jennings was also in the race, finishing 22rd at 14:43.

On the women's side, the African women won the day.  A Kenyan was first with Ethiopians in second and third.  I was most interested to see that Teresa McWalters was back home for Thanksgiving.  McWalters is a local, ran at Stanford ('07), and is now residing in Cambridge, MA (I suspect at Harvard).  I often saw her name in Boston results, so I guess I've been following her career a bit.  McWalters finished in 5th yesterday with a time of 16:12.

So, I guess they had no trouble with the course.

No comments: