Monday, November 10, 2008

Stop The Junk!

Today, I am participating in what seems to be a biennial tradition...getting myself off mailing lists.  I gave some money to the Golden Gate Parks last year, and now I have a stack of mail from all around the region, asking for my money.  Oh, and since I've stayed at Yosemite, they gave my name out too.  Some good advice from everyone I talked to that day: anytime you give out your address, to organizations or to magazines, ask them not to give it to anyone else.  That might be for another day...I'm tired.  

Some of the people I talked to:

Save The Bay...the mailings actually do increase membership, according to Mandy, and the woman I talked to was THE nicest.  She thanked me for calling and asking them to stop sending paper to me.  When I look at making year-end donations, they will be on the top of my list (after Summit Prep, of course).  And maybe volunteering with them will be a good way to get active in the community.

The Yosemite Fund also gets my vote for being awesome and friendly.  The guy was able to figure out who gave them my name (Yosemite Park) and was generally just pleasant.

There are many companies that help you get your name off lists.  Among them are greendimes, proquo, DMA, and Opt-Out.  But, it was fun to get to talk to some people today as I have the day off from school for a long Veteran's Day weekend.

No comments: