Friday, November 7, 2008

Coming Back From The Edge

My students are about to put me over the edge.  I guess last year's kids spoiled me in that when I asked them to work, they did it.  This year, there's a lot of chatting.  I can't even end a sentence without people talking.  When I ask them to work, they just start talking about whatever they want.  I am a professional babysitter.  But today, I did get an email from a student asking for a meeting with all her teachers and her parents so she can get back on track and improve her grades.  So, we have one motivated kid.  

This four day weekend will be bliss.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My last BTSA seminar had me barfing at the seeming absurdity of it. But, I have taken one of the strategies we had the role play (over and over and over again, mind you) and tried it out this week.
If you're talking and the kids start immediately talking despite you being the teacher, you make eye contact with your students, put your hand on your chest and say in all firm seriousness, "It is MY turn to talk now," pause, then begin speaking in a soft voice. So simple, yet so effective this week for me.
Also, after I gave my directions for desk work and wrote them on the board, I sent them on their merry way and just stared at the class for 20-30 seconds in the front of the room until I saw every single one is on track. It intimidated the heck out of them and they didn't know what to do ... other than get to work! It was a lovely, chat-reduced week for me.

Good luck with your motivated student!