Sunday, October 26, 2008

Yes We Did!!!

Bec and I carved our Obama logo pumpkins.  Check out the rock star pumpkins and the video at yeswecarve.com.  

On Sunday, my office held a "rally" to get people to phone bank in Palo Alto.  Over 200 people came (mostly newbies) and made a total of 12,000 calls in about five hours.  Here's one of my favorite pictures...this is Bari, my fearless leader on the 6-9pm shift at the office.  I really can't imagine an evening without her now.  For my sister, who will probably comment on the fact that my earpiece is in...I was actually in the middle of making phone calls.  Note the clipboard.  And I was calling Deerfield Beach!


In this picture, she is probably saying something like, "There was a cute boy waiting at your station and I was just going to leave that to you.  I'm not going to touch it."  It has now become the mission of the moms in the office (and one of the guys who works at Apple) to matchmake for me.  And I just wanted to disclose that I didn't go to temple on Friday night because I had to make some calls.  Once the election is over...I'll get back to my life.

I'll post a better picture of the group in these shirts.  Community Organizer!!  We didn't have much responsibility but we made a lot of change.  Palo Alto really came out for this event and all day, everyone kept saying how amazing it was to see all these people, reaching out to Florida and encouraging them to vote early for our guy.  But, it's tough to be a Floridian Democrat these days.  Many people are discouraged by the long lines at the early polls and think that it's inevitable that the election will be stolen now and on Nov 4 (at least this is what they expressed to us over the phone).  Wow.  It's hard to respond to that in a way that reassures people.  Again, I try to stay away from the blogs and the news and any negativity.  I'm not trying to be naive, but as one of my callers said yesterday, it's so much better to be doing something than to just be watching from the sidelines.

One more thought:  Hearing someone say "Democrats for McCain" on "This American Life" is like Jews for Jesus to me.  I have trouble understanding how a Hillary supporter makes that transition.  But I'm trying to understand, so that I can handle whatever happens in this election.  I'm trying to stay positive about our future as a country and optimistic that one day, we will all come together as Americans.  Right now, I feel as though we are so polarized.  I even had people in the race saying, "I have to beat Obama."  Yikes!  Honestly, I would rather wear an Obama sticker and have people cheer for me that way than having my name on my shirt, but I guess it bugged some people.  Although I wouldn't have done it if I was running in, say, Nevada.  San Francisco is a pretty safe place to be an Obama supporter.

And we're done!


2 comments:

samkay64 said...

Great post, great work, and great pictures. I'm so proud of you guys!

Anonymous said...

I was really sad for skeptical Florida voters as well. One woman said, "I don't trust that they will even look at my early vote." One man was interesting in speaking to me... he's voting Obama, but not keeping his fingers crossed. "People are just so eager for change here, but you never know what to expect." My uncle pessimistically said, "We got out there in 2000 and we protested, and no one gave a damn. It didn't do a thing." It sucks that they are so disillusioned.

I hope we win. We NEED to win. Those people who "need to beat Obama" will thank us.