Saturday, October 11, 2008

DNF--DNCare!

I think today was my first DNF (did not finish a race).  Of course, this was my plan, so I'm fine with it.  Today, I needed to run 8 miles, 6 of them at Marathon Pace.  The first time I tried this workout, it went very well in flat MP, CA.  The second time, my cold had finally caught up to me and I couldn't keep pace or finish the distance (it was 10 that day).  So, for the third Marathon Pace workout (well, I guess Half Marathon pace in my case), I was going to be in hilly Connecticut and I knew it would be tough to do alone.  So, I signed up for the Hartford Half Marathon, set out to run 8 miles of the course, and all went as planned.  I felt pretty darn good even though my legs were tired after getting up at 1am West Coast time and I did have to sleep for about 40 minutes in the car before the race.  I started nice and easy for my warm-up mile.  It was very crowded and I was worried about getting up to pace to start mile two, but never saw the first mile marker, so it worked well that I was able to take another mile to get warm and out of the fray.  I ran to mile 8 and stepped off the course.  That was a weird feeling, since I felt really great and there was no reason to end it, except that today's race is insignificant compared to next week's.  

I ran back to the park to turn in my chip and get some refreshments.  They had a Whole Foods buffet, but I guess it was different for the 5K and Half Marathon/Marathon runners.  When I got to the park, the first women were just finishing the half.  I went to get some food and the woman said that the 5K food was in the front tent only.  I told her that I ran the half and showed her my blue bib number.  She said, "Did you finish?"  I said, "No, but I paid what everyone else did."  Is it really that big of a deal that I didn't finish the race but wanted some of their apple crisp?  I guess so.  Honestly, by finishing early, I was one less person to crowd up the finish line later.  Even though I was sour about the lady looking down on my for not finishing, I was impressed by the amount of recycling they had: recycle the silver finish "blankets," compost food, compostable plates and utensils.  Good work Hartford!  

Some race notes: The course was great.  It was very flat and wide at the beginning when it was most crowded.   The roads were not too crowned or cambered and they were in good shape.  The starting line was a bit crowded.  They have the runners line up on one side of the street while the 5K went past us on the other.  It wasn't the best laid plan.  And, I wasn't too excited that I never saw mile markers one or four, but otherwise, I'm impressed with the organization of it all.  Bushnell Park (site of the start and finish and State House) in Hartford is small but pretty.  Also, it's a good feeling to have run well today.  I have much more confidence about racing next weekend (as opposed to just finishing) than I did even yesterday.

It is ridiculously beautiful here in New England right now.  The leaves are amazing and driving though Westborough and Pomfret gives one amazing vistas.  It's great timing to be home and I can't wait to run the Tufts 10k on Monday.

1 comment:

Chris Bagg said...

Bravo! Yeah, I love the Harford course: fun, clean, pretty well laid out, usually perfect running weather. Sounds like a fun day. Congrats on a solid workout. Right now I think you're doing the Tufts race...yeah?