Monday, October 27, 2008

In Need of a Boost

Okay...8 days left (the news will say 7, but as callers, we have to call for 8 more days since we'll be calling on Election Day).  Today we called Ohio and Colorado.  It was fun, but I am oh so tired.  And then the news about some young men with a plot to kill Obama and others...I almost broke down completely.

Here are some ideas as to how not to go crazy:


2. Watch Obama's "Closing Argument."  We need him to bring this country together.  The more I listen to him, the more I want to convince people that he's the man for the job.

3. Watch this great video made by one of my colleagues at the office.  You see me in action in the first 30 seconds.  I love the videos this guy makes.  He picks great music and I'm always inspired when I watch them.

4. Stay away from cable news and the polls.  You'll only get an ulcer.  Watch The Office or The Hills instead.  Remember, there is fun to have in this world.

5. Do something!  Whether it's campaigning or getting outside for a hike or a run or having tea with friends or carving pumpkins...keep busy!

And now, some advice for those living in swing states:
1. VOTE!!!  As soon as you tell us that you've voted, we're going to stop calling you.

2. Instead of getting mad/irate/pissed, you could just ask us to stop calling.  Our office won't call you again.  But remember, you are the most popular people in the country...Move On will call you, local campaigns will call you, and McCain will call you.  It's only 8 more days.  You will survive.  But, if you'd don't say those magic words...we're going to keep calling.

3. Don't pick up the phone.  I can't tell you how many people get mad at us for calling them during dinner.  Ummm...last I checked, you don't have to answer your phone during dinner.  It's not a mandate.

4. You could move.  Take it from me that when you live in a state that's decided (blue or red), no one calls you and no one cares.

5. Make your voicemail message say the following: Who each person in the house is voting for and if they are voting early or if they have sent an absentee.  That might be my best idea yet!


I'm a bit late on this, but I just want to make a shout out to: Bob Herbert at the NYT for this article a while ago and Colin Powell for saying "What if [Obama] is [a Muslim]?"  We need our media to continue exposing how this country feels about race and religion and we need more people questioning how much discrimination exists here.  Olbermann stopped ranting and begged McCain to stand up to the racist remarks from his supporters.  Olbermann did a good job with this...not sure if the right people are listening though.  All I can say is that I hope my students are listening and that change will start to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hank goodness you warned me not to be promiscuous these last few days - I had no idea I would have the urge! :P