Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Milestone

There are many things that I don't love about the Nike + system.  It is innacurate for a lot of my running (today I ran 6 miles but it thought I ran 5.17...because half of the miles were at a fast pace...it gets confused).  But today, nikeplus.com alerted me that I've run 500 miles with my Nike+ (ipod or sportband).  I'm not sure how "off" it is, but that's pretty cool to have a website remind you of things like that.

I do like the sportband more than using the ipod.  I can easily look down and see my approximate pace.  I generally use it to pace my long runs and it does a good job since it's calibrated at that pace.  The downside is the screen.  It's like an old computer that had a dark screen with light writing (the sportband has yellow-ish numbers on the display).  I run about 50% of my miles in the dark and the sportband has no light on the screen, so I have to wait until I get under a street light, angle the thing juuuuuust right so I can see my pace.  Sometimes, I think these products aren't tested by real athletes doing what they do.

The weekend at home will be great!  I'll fast for the Yom and then get two races in.  I'm going to participate in some of the Hartford Marathon.  I need to do a fast 8 miles, so that's all I'm doing on Saturday.  Then I'm running my 5th Tufts 10K.  I've run it every year that I've been teaching, except last year when I didn't go home for it.  I love the "all" women races, maybe because I've always done them with a family member.  On Sunday, I'll run my 5th Tufts with Aunt Susan, who I haven't seen since I moved to Cali.  I can't wait!  And on the 19th, I will run my first race with my sister since the Rod and Reed 3.23 mile benefit run in 1996.  I was 15 and she was 11!  Holy mackeral.  The results are still online and it turns out that my mom ran that race, I believe without training, almost as fast as my 5K PR in June.  Beast!  Similarly, Susan will probably finish in a great time despite rowing much more than running to train.  When do I get those genes?

On to the next 500!

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congrats on this huge milestone! I also thought of you while reading my "green" Runner's World b/c the Eugene Marathon is in the Top 10 Green Marathons list!