Friday, October 3, 2008

What Are You Saying?

Amy posted a Wordle on her blog today. I loved it, as it reminds me of the NYT when they show words that people have been talking about in sizes proportional to their occurrence.

Ali, I think we should have Wordle Wednesdays instead of Wordless.

First I tried to Wordle my blog:
Something didn't look right. I don't think I've really talked about temple that much. So, I changed my settings to have all posts on the front page and tried again:


Wait, is this the same? I think it is, now that I inspect it. Do I really write "like" that much. A quick Ctl+F in Google Chrome tells me:
214 "like"
142 "think"
118 "school"
118 "new" (including newspaper I guess)
44 "hope"
44 "local"
6 "temple" (why's it so big?)
2 "pluots"

Just to name a few. But something's amiss here. When I clicked on my word count of the Wordle, it said "like" was 9. Clearly, Wordle is not reading my entire blog.

So here's my last attempt. I copied my entire blog and wordled it. This is my blog. I am realizing, I don't really say very much of substance, do I?



So, this is fun. What next? Obvi, last night's VP debate. I copied it from the NYT transcript, which kept in all the "Ifill," "Biden," and "Palin" in front of each person's quotation. In Coolvetica font:

But mine looks different than this posted one...I'll have to play around with this more as you can change fonts and colors and fiddle with the sizes yourself. That's not cool.


There are some great Wordles in the Gallery at their page. I liked the Psalms and Big Lebowski script (inappropriate for younger viewers) and The Declaration of Independence. But maybe Prufrock is my favorite. It would be interesting to see the bailout bill passed today.

Thanks Amy for a fun website!

No comments: