Wednesday, August 1, 2007

What You See From Saint Louis to Pueblo




Some scenes from the road...hay in Kansas, sunflowers in Colorado, grain elevator in Sugar City, CO, and a beautiful sunset as I headed west on 96 about 30 miles outside Pueblo. I have driven across Kansas just twice but both times I have loved it. It is such a beautiful state (due partly to there being very, very little development) and it doesn't seem as flat at they say. There are rolling hills the whole way and it is green, green, green. That hints to the frequent afternoon thunderstorms they get in the region (there is one threatening here right now...lightning like fireworks). Today I went 860 miles and gained 4000 feet in elevation. You wouldn't really know that the elevation was changing so much because there were no mountains on this stretch, just the long slow incline that is Kansas. I feel really fortunate to have spent a lot of time in this part of the country throughout my life. I love the plains...my soul is very happy in places where you can see how far it is to the next town by the grain elevator in the distance and you know there are farms in the distance by the clumps of trees. I'm not sure if I could live here for political reasons, but there's a certain part of me that feels at home whenever I'm here. Although I almost think that the lack of democrats could be made up for by all the cows.

No comments: