Monday, August 6, 2007

Barry Bonds

So apparently, I missed Bonds tying the great Hank Aaron for career home runs. I always try to believe in the purity of sport and that all athletes respect their sport but from what I hear, this is not always reality. That said, this is a milestone that we I may not experience again in my lifetime (not that I experienced it while driving through Utah) and Eric Neel's account on ESPN.com is the kind that gives you goosebumps. And that, for me, is satisfying. That's why I love to watch athletic competition...for those moments that are full of beauty and strength and give you goosebumps. I was at Pac Bell Park when Bonds hit his 600th (August 2002). I was sick as a dog from food poisoning and could hardly focus, but there's nothing like feeling the energy of 50,000 people who are all exuding the same intense joy about sports. While many people are watching Bonds this week to see more history, I'm pretty excited about the Red Sox continuing to be the best team in baseball, less than three weeks until Stanford starts their campaign for their fourteenth consecutive Sears Cup, and all the Blue Jays, Flyers and Huskies who are working hard this summer to get ready for the fall season to start.

No comments: