Monday, August 6, 2007

Being Nice and VWs

My first day in California is very productive so far. I've passed the smog check and the written license test. I have California plates and the blog is almost fully up to date (save for final tally of the drive and new house pics) while I wait for Lightning to get the 40K check up at 45K. A couple of things that are obvious to me right now:

1. When you're nice to people (at the gas station, agriculture inspection station, dmv, car dealer) you can have really pleasant, easy experiences. This is also very true of driving. When you're a jerk on the road, you're not going to have as much fun while you're out there. One of my students (Keivan) made this ridiculously clear to me this year. He is one of the nicest kids I've had and his positive nature makes everyone around him act the same way. I know this is completely obvious and it's something we've all been taught, but now I believe it from experience, not just someone telling me it's so. I hope you all get experiences like this.

2. I love Volkswagens. I'm not sure how I missed this, but it dawned on my yesterday that I bought a German car. Yikes! But, since I've spent more than two weeks in the last three sitting in a Volkswagen ALL DAY, I wanted to sing my praises. I have had more than 4,000 miles of very comfortable driving. I could sit in those seats forever it seems and the Bug and Lightning did everything I asked. VW is right...when you get into a VW, it gets into you. Now, I can't comment on the leg room in the back, but front seat living is nice. They've come a long way...as much as I will always love our '76 Beetle (rest its engine), the comfort usually came when you got out of it.

3 comments:

Ali said...

As a German who married a German, and as one who hails from a family who has owned over 10 VWs, I am glad little Lightening (and the Bug) treated you well, and that you are now singing the praises of what I still think are some of the best looking cars on the road (minus that whole Phaeton mistake). Fahrvergnügen!! Driving enjoyment, indeed.

JPH said...

did you use Lauren's back test?

maura said...

I didn't use the back test that Lauren saved, but I did keep mine. I got three wrong out of 36. If only I had studied...
They actually ask you if you want to keep the test but rip off the "test form number." My test form was #4, so they aren't that advanced to prevent people from reading it before they rip it off.