Monday, August 6, 2007

One Use for Prairie Dogs


I was listening to Bill Geist, CBS correspondant and author of the new book, "Way Off the Road: Discovering the Peculiar Charms of Small Town America." He was on the show "On Point," a broadcast out of WBUR, Boston's NPR station, talking about small town America and all the things he's seen covering small towns for "Sunday Morning." One story was about some guys in Cortez, Colorado who have a company called Dog Gone, which specializes in prairie dog removal...by sucking them out of the ground with a big sewer vacuum. Here's an article.
On my next leg of the cross-country trek, I was at a gas station next to a guy pulling a big trailer. He had the trailer open and was steadying some of his stuff. Something caught my eye...this scene of a saloon with what I thought were dolls. I asked him about it (and if I could take this picture) and he said that he shoots the prairie dogs and someone else stuffs them. I'm not sure which party dresses them in outfits and who make the miniature cards and liquor but what I do know is that this does not exist on the East Coast. And I think this tops the list for the most amazing thing I've seen since Nomar. Take another long look at this. There's not too much like it.

3 comments:

JPH said...

ha! Oh man, this is insane! I want to make the liqueur bottles for these little guys. ha! can you give me an idea of the scale? How big is this scene?

maura said...

The prairie dog standing up is about 6-8 inches tall. Maybe the board underneath is 2 feet across.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... prairie dogs with lipstick.. no quite sure how I feel about that. Kinda goes up there with the plasticized body wearing white high-heels and holding a pocketbook.