Monday, March 8, 2010

Brown and Education

Last night, I met my good friend from childhood, KL, for dinner in The City.  We went to farmerbrown, a cute little comfort food spot off Market in SF.  I had mac and cheese and a salad.  I actually couldn’t take more than three bites of the mac and cheese, it was so rich.  It sure did taste good today though.  I definitely will have to return…except I’m not really eating meat.  It seems like I’d want fried chicken if I went back.

KL is one of those people who I’ve known for…well…16 years now.  That’s more than half my life.  I love friends like this…people that are just so easy to see and engage with again.  Kate and I got to talking about what’s next.  She’s in a one-year clerkship in SD and I’m…who knows, but I can’t figure it out.  One thing that’s so interesting is the number of people from my high school who are educators or who love school.  It’s nearly all my high school buddies.  That make me pretty happy.  It’s nice to grow up in a town where education is viewed so positively, even if some of us came late to the party.  Although, the lurking variable here is that I was a total nerd and pretty much hung out with total nerds.  No offense to my friends out there, but we weren’t deviants.

Three random things:

1. If I were to be on Twitter, I’d follow this guy.  Beware of the language.  But also, beware of the wet-your-pants funny stuff his dad says.

2. What was up with the Oscars?  So boring and dry.  Thank goodness for Sandra Bullock and Jeff Bridges.  Granted, I was only able to watch what little they put on the Internet, but what’s with the drab decor and awkward seating arrangements?  I know we’re at war and in a recession, but you’re supposed to be Hollywood!  T Bone Burnett also made it worthwhile to watch.

3. Watch Yvon Choinard, founder and owner of Patagonia, being awesome as usual.

1 comment:

bec said...

I am so glad you caught that commercial - i thought of you and had meant to send a link to it!

I don't know why, but I found the Oscars to be fun. Perhaps b/c I saw most of the movies they talked about, or I found Steve Martin to be totally hilarious... Sandra B and The Dude were definitely high points as well.

Still trying to figure out who KL is...