Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's Earth Day You Say?

Today was funny. I've never taught on Earth Day (since my student teaching), so I don't have any standards for what I do with my kids. Today, I think I went in the opposite direction of what I try to do. My student teacher had an idea (a great one I think) that we would show our kids the concept of a logistic function by slowly turning on the faucet and then turning it all the way up to the maximum. You see a logistic function is one that increases at first and then levels off. You can think of it like population growth or plant and animal growth. At some point, the population or height just can't get any bigger.


So, we turned the water on slowly and talked about how the volume of water coming out per second must reach a maximum...the pipe is only so big, right? I did this a few times in my first class and then all of the sudden said, "Oh my gosh, it's Earth Day! Do you guys get it? Can I stop doing this now?" It's all in the timing right?

1 comment:

Ali said...

That is a great story. You should have collected the water in a bucket or something, and made them water some of the school's plants or something. :)