Wednesday, April 23, 2008

At The Helm

Today, I co-taught my pedaling class at the gym (one of my colleagues yesterday was joking about how all we're really doing is pedaling...I told him to come to my class and I'll put him through some pedaling). Anyway, today was supposed to be a 90 minute class, the standard for the third Wednesday of the month. At 5:40, I was all set up, ipod hooked up, my index card with all the songs and my plan for each...and it's just me and my instructor/mentor. Two people came around 6:00 (our normal start time).

The class was great fun. It feels a bit awkward to instruct two people who are there with you every week and who were there long before you, but like I've said before, it's the Y and everyone is so nice and supportive. This is the second class that I've co-taught but this time, I knew it was coming. I spent a long time this weekend crafting my playlist (90 minutes is a long time!) and my profile, as they call it. Everything went well and having an idea of what I was going to do made it easier to change things on the fly. We decided to just make it an hour class since everyone forgot, which was good because I forgot my Kosher for Passover lunch at home and had, thus I barely made it to school on time.

Towards the end of the class, I was sweating like crazy. I usually don't get beads of sweat on my arms, but today I did. I was thinking, "Wow, I'm really teaching a hard core class!" Then I realized, I hadn't turned the fan on that usually keeps me dry and cooler. I did get a good workout and it felt good to sweat a lot. I'll co-teach another class on Friday. Hopefully, I can start teaching my own classes soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: