Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happiness Is...

Great Science section of the NYT because there were two articles that highlight things I think people should read about.

1) BPA...get it out of our plastic!!! And NYT, why is this on page 5? And why has it taken so long for this to get media coverage?

2) Daniel Gilbert, social psychologist, who researches the nature of human happiness at Harvard was interviewed on page 2! Karl clued me into Big Think a couple of months ago, which is a website where people can post their ideas about...anything. At first, it totally overwhelmed me, but once I started clicking around, I found Gilbert's talk about happiness (which is pretty much the same as the NYT Article). Two thoughts of his that I think about a lot: "...bad things don't affect us as profoundly as we expect them to. That's true of good things, too." and "We know that the best predictor of human happiness is human relationships and the amount of time that people spend with friends and family." Frankly, I do think I overestimated how much moving to California would affect me. I do not think I overestimate how much running consistently and injury-free affects me.

No comments: