Tuesday, April 15, 2008

And We're Back!

Hi All,

I know it's been a long time. Life out here is super busy. I'd like to say that I'm sticking to my plan of going coastal, but it's looking more like going postal these days. Here are the highlights from the last few weeks:

-It's hot all the time now. Skirts and flip flops are coming out! So is the extra-strength anti-perspirant.

-I taught my first indoor cycling class (you know it by its brand name, but I'm not allowed to use it). Our instructor didn't show up on Monday and I have all the required courses, so my classmates asked me to teach. I start mentoring soon so then I can be an "real" instructor and I won't have to use the weird CD that they have at the gym for when people forget their music. Music is one thing, but thinking of what to do on the spot...that was not as easy for me as when it happens in math class.

-We are teaching modeling in Pre-Calc, which means lots of linear regression. Oh man, I love that stuff. I could talk about r-squared and y-hat all day. On Thursday, kids are going to drop action figures from 4 meters and see if the number of rubber bands they predicted will keep their guy free from head injury. Reminds me of a Jerry Seinfeld routine...

-I was asked to grade the AP Stats exam in June. While so excited about this opportunity, I had to turn it down because if I went (missing five days of our professional development), there would be a lot of pressure to teach AP Stats and AP Calc next year. If it was just AP Stats, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but the thought of planning two new classes next year after going crazy trying to plan one is too much to bear. Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity for that in the future. I miss AP Stats. I can't wait to get back to teaching it.

-Big News! I am going to Nicaragua for three weeks this summer. A bunch of students at my school are going with a program, Global Glimpse, that focuses on giving students the experience of traveling abroad, gives them three weeks in the same city in a country (Leon, in this case) and experience all aspects of the country but without the whirlwind tour. So, the students really experience a place for their whole trip. They will also be helping kids their age with conversational English. The philosophy of the program is very interesting to me...why they don't build houses and why they don't travel the entire country on a bus. As far as I know, I'll be helping kids with what they are learning about the country and keeping them on their best behavior. We will be going with students from other schools, many from very different backgrounds than my students, so not only will my kids get a sense of Nicaragua but of the Bay Area in general. This will be from June 15-July 9. I'll plan my East Coast tour for probably the month after that. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Que bueno! Estoy tan celosa qye vas a viajar a Nicaragua! FELICITACIONES!

Sully said...

hey lady,
should i dig up my kit list for global travels for you? fits in 3 large ziploc bags and saved me in Ghana more than once...:) nicaragua should be amazing - pack light to bring home lots of beautiful souvenirs! (and please refrain from eating the food from street vendors - i can't even tell you what i've learned about food and waterborne diseases during my MPH...bleh)

samkay64 said...

Oh how exciting! Nicaragua will be great. And on your birthday, no less.

Amy said...

welcome back! i've missed you!

Sounds like you have some pretty exciting stuff coming up, including one amazing trip!