Sunday, September 23, 2007

There's a Holiday Every Day

September 24th is National Punctuation Day. I'm not really sure what one is supposed to do in order to celebrate, other than make the official meatloaf of NPD. Go here for details. I can't even begin to figure out what makes any particular meatloaf recipe worthy of being an "official" meatloaf.

I will not be making this meatloaf. I haven't actually posted about this, but I've been doing my best to eat entirely local for the month of September (within a 100 mile radius of my house). I've done a good job, except for food that people give me (namely the parents at school) and when I've gone out to eat. But my school day meals are pretty local. It's been great because it certainly cuts down on snacking and my September has been filled with lots of tomatoes. Last week, I discovered that I can get soup tomatoes at the farmer's market for $1 a pound! That is awesome! I've been making summer squash and tomato soup and straight tomato soup. Both SpecialTeas favorites. I've been flexible with salt, pepper, and other spices and I cheated to make brownies waffles last weekend for Matt, but I'm mostly sticking to the 100 miles. I've accomplished my biggest goal, which is food awareness. I wanted to think about where my food is coming from and do what I can to support local farmers and businesses. I technically only have a week left for my local challenge, but I'm sure I'll keep up with it throughout the year as much as I can.

No comments: