Sunday, September 16, 2007

Mt. Tam


I am giddy that I did my first hiking in probably two years this weekend. I'm not really sure why it took me so long, but sometimes the rest of life can be distracting. So, this weekend, Mt. Tam(alpais) was the destination. It's about 45 minutes north of the city in Marin County. While not the most aggressive hike you can do (by any stretch), the views are pretty nice. To the north you get the rolling hills of Sonoma County, the bay is to the east, the city, Sausalito and Tiburon to the south, and the Pacific to the west. So, when you're new to the area, it's a fun vantage point to get the lay of the land. It's a beautiful ride once you get on the Golden Gate bridge...lots of curvy mountain roads and all. The only problem with this place is that you can drive to within a short walk of the summit, so despite the fact that we did almost four hours of hiking, it doesn't feel that satisfying when you see people rolling up in the SUVs. Although I did see my dad's doppleganger getting on his motorcycle. It was pretty uncanny.


This picture of Matt below makes it look like we're in the middle of the California version of the White Mountains. I'll get to that kind of place soon.

No comments: