Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One of Many Amazing Signs Today

Today I started outside of Pittsburgh. I drove south on 79 and then west on 70 where I went through West Virginia first. Their sign said "Open for Business." I find this slogan a bit awkward for so many reasons. I hit Ohio next, followed by Indiana (they gave us this great sign...I don't know why they couldn't come up with something really original), Illinois (Land of Lincoln) and then Missouri (the show me state). It was an eleven hour drive in total...about 620 miles. It was quite beautiful to see all the farm land. They are growing TONS of corn out here...and to think how little of that actually goes to corn on the cob and how much of it goes to corn syrup. More great pics to follow.

1 comment:

jan said...

When we were little and living in Missouri we drove East in the '50's and that was the first and only memory I have of the old Burma Shave signs that punctuated the road that ran through endless farmland. They were along the road in Illinois and no doubt Indiana too. Who knew. We just sat in the backseat, no seatbelts, no air conditioning and nothing to do for days on end. If that happened these days the kids would no doubt report their parents to to DSS on multiple abuse charges.