Friday, July 17, 2009

Still The One

Do you remember the Nike-Lance Armstrong ad way back when that went: People always ask me what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day.

Here's a refresher if you need it:



When I was in Israel for the Jewish Olympics back in 2001, I met a sprinter who believed that basically every professional athlete was on drugs, including Lance. I didn't care to continue that conversation. I have read Lance's books, I've seen him speak, I've watched him ride. I believe everything he says and will be a faithful fan of his...forever? Sure, he's been on drugs and that chemo is pretty nasty stuff, from what I hear. So today, I smiled when I read his Twitter page (and no I don't have my own Twitter...I just read Lance's every few days to see what he has to say about Le Tour):
& big surprise, had antidoping control @ the finish. Keep looking, nothing to find xcept hard work & sacrifice. Never was, never will be.

So glad you're back, Lance!

One of these days I'll post about KC, my cousin's hot wedding, humidity, STL, Home Run Derby, the MetroLink, pilgimages, Richard Avedon at SFMOMA, Cafe Gratitude in SF, and my upcoming road adventure to San Buenaventura (I guess you probably call it Ventura). Not enough time to read the paper fully these days, but plenty of fun is being had out here. Did hear the news about Cronkite. The world loses a legend. I wish I had known the days when one man in this country was so trusted by so many. Finally, though, we have a death that is not "someone taken too early." This has been one wild and crazy summer for the Death Pool.

1 comment:

Bec said...

Lance gives me goosebumps. So do Nike ads, period. Lance is demonstrating his incomparable aplomb in le Tour ;)