Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Bad Custy Service

Wow. If I ever give out awards for bad customer service to any store that I stop in, Banana Republic might lead in votes.

Here's the scenario: I go in with a gift Visa card, a $20 BR rewards coupon, and $15 BR birthday coupon. Both coupons expire on Friday. I found some jeans (it's been almost three years since I found a pair that fit) and was totally excited to pay as little of my own money as possible for them.

I get to the counter and I put out my BR charge card, the two coupons, and the Visa gift card. The woman tells me that I can't use the Visa card with the BR charge card. Okay...I'll find a use for it. Then she tells me that I can't use both coupons at once. Why not? They can't enter in those two different codes on the same transaztion. It's just the rule that they have. Lame. Okay, I think...maybe I'll get another pair of the same style of jeans in another wash. I ask, "Do these jeans come in another wash?" BR Lady: "Some of our jeans come in other washes." Me: "Okay, but I'd like to know about these jeans." BR Lady: "Some of them do." Me: "What I'd really like to know is that if these specific jeans come in any other washes. This style. Is there somewhere you can look that up?" BR Lady: "I don't think they do." There was no "I'll look that up, do you have a second?" or "I'd be happy to ask someone if you want to wait." Is BR not suffering from recessionary blues? You would think they would be doing everything they can to get a sale and make people skip on out of there with a smile on.

Then as I was walking out, I had a thought and called the store. Me: "Hi, I have a question about your returns. If I bought something with my BR charge and a rewards coupon and then I return it, do you just put the whole amount back on the charge?" New BR Lady: "Yes, we credit the whole amount of the item on your BR card." Me: "Thanks."

Okay, so this whole rule about not using two rewards at once is dumb. I am just going to go back, return the jeans, and then buy them back with the coupon I didn't use. And, I'm going to call BR and tell them that I'm not happy (I just did that). I've been a loyal cardholder for many years now (at least seven) and I know what good customer service is. Remember kids, it's not just the absence of bad service.

1 comment:

Bec said...

I hear ya on BR... JCREW customer service is my BR. ARGH!

Yay for finding jeans!