Monday, June 23, 2008

Yo enseño!

I think that´s correct. Anyway, I taught math to some Nicas tonight. They were working on their homework and I told them that I teach math in the U.S. They immediately asked for my help. I was lucky to have my colleague there to assist me with some Spanish...I really didn´t learn too many math specific words in school. It´s always nice to have your choice of profession reaffirmed.

Nice day today. We went the house of Hugo´s great-grandmother (Hugo is one of my students). His mom left Nicaragua for the U.S. in 1989 to get away from the war. She told us a lot about what it was like here before she left and how she left. Quite amazing. After 18 years in the U.S., she finally got her citizenship last year. Her son is a great kid, so it was nice to chat with them in a context other than him and really get to know them.

Tomorrow, we´re off to see a coffee plantation in Posoltega. Hopefully it doesn´t smell too much like coffee...that nauseates me.

This is an interesting article that I was able to read in my spare internet time. I hope that link works. I´m using a Spanish keyboard, so many of the keyboard shortcuts are totally different than I´m used to. Also, all the menus are in Spanish, so it´s a lot of trial and error as I type.

Off to hand wash some clothes before bed. Having a great time and so far, I´m not sick of all the rice and beans!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo enseno is a little redundant, but correct! You can just say, "enseno", or, "ensene a los nicos" (I taught the Nicaraguans).

Sooo cool about the home visit - those are the travelling moments that are most precious.

Go back to SF tomorrow from my trip to AZ. It's been quite a mentally taxing trip, but really good. I'm so thankful to have seen my Gpa on a good day today.

JPH said...

Hey there,

Just catching up on my reading, after a long lag. I don't have internet at home right now, so I'm limited to time at work. This sounds like such an awesome trip- I'm jealous!

We're all excited for your time here in Boston! Can't wait to see you! JP