Wednesday, June 18, 2008

How Much Can One Really Sweat?

If you´re me, the answer is a lot. So, I´ve established a good routine of washing my underwear at night and letting it air dry so I have something to put on in the morning. Yay! So, you can infer that there´s still no luggage. I´m glad it wasn´t one of the kids. I think I can probably get by for the most part with this one pair of pants...although they are hot for some reason (or maybe it´s just the weather), running shirts, and plenty of shoes. I did have a hat in the luggage I did get...which has saved me since I don´t have sunglasses. I also realized that my camera battery charger is in the other luggage. Grrrr! There´s so much good stuff in there. I hope to see that bag soon.

Yesterday:

  • Breakfast at La Tortuga with some amazing papaya and pineapple juice. The traditional dish is pinto gallo, rice and beans. I quite like it.
  • Lots of walking...went to the market and talked to the woman who is in charge. She was great and totally represents the trend that many women here have quite a bit of power because they are more reliable.
  • Saw most of the murals in the city which tell the tale of the revolutions throughout Nica´s history.
  • Had ice cream! So refreshing
  • Taught English to locals at a language school. That was awesome! I am not teaching English, but the kids are and they are so into it. They will teach English every day, Monday through Thursday to student of varying proficiency.
  • More yummy meals (La Buena Cuchara and Comedor Lisette)

Today:

  • Breakfast at La Buena Cuchara...with amazing mango juice. More pinto gallo but also eggs today.
  • A discussion with the kids about the Nicaraguan revolution (1970s through 1990ish) and what a revoltion means for a country.
  • A tour of the revolutionary museum in Leon. The place was somewhat unofficial. It wasn´t a museum as we know one. It was basically a room with photocopies of books and newspaper articles hung on the wall. We were told the entire history by a local, so that had to be translated. I definitely don´t learn well by just listening. I need interaction and something to read/look at. So, I think I looked like I was paying attention, but (don´t tell the kids) I have no idea what he said. That´s kind of sad for me, but it´s just not how my brain works.
  • Lunch at La Callejon (the gutter). This place was really nice inside and the food was pretty good. My diet is basically rice, vegetables, and plantains. I think I might have to start eating chicken, but I am worried that the beef has diary hidden in it.
  • I´m going to take a nap. Adios! More English teaching tonight!

1 comment:

Amy said...

i hear you on the sweat queen status :)

sounds like your trip is fascinating - here's hoping you get your luggage SOON!