Monday, June 16, 2008

Ahhh...We´re Here

Hi All....



We´re here in Leon. We are staying in the cutest hostel (La Tortuga Booluda). I am having a tough day because some of my luggage was lost. Without going into too much detail, but basically, I have my running clothes (built in underwear only), all my shoes, glasses, perscriptions, and toothbrush. That´s about all I´ve got. I can´t really figure out which would be worse...not having running clothes to start my half training tomorrow or not having a change of clothes at all (also having no toiletries, suncreen, bug spray, etc). I think the latter is worse...especially if I have to go more than one more day in these clothes. One of my cute students told me I could borrow some of her clothes...meanwhile, she´s about 5´4¨ and size 2. Yeah...that´s gonna happen. I´ve got my contacts in shot glasses (borrowing some contact solution) and hopefully the maid won´t throw them out (like happened in Colorado in high school). So, interesting trip so far.



Today, we landed in Managua, got a bit of history of the revolutions that happened and a tiny bit about US involvement over time. Then, we went to the US Embassy. I was a bit disappointed. They are clearly not trained to host high school students who have just taken a red eye. We then drove north to Leon and settled into our cute hostel. Lunch was ehhh but dinner was better. I´m sticking to ¨vegetarian¨fare so far because I feel like countries like Nicaragua hide pork or other meet in just about all their food (read¨Ana´s Taqueria rice made with chicken broth). I´ll probably be more ¨don´t ask, don´t tell¨by the end.



Anyway, the kids are great. They are all having fun together in the hostel and getting along swell.

2 comments:

Ali said...

I was thinking of you! I am glad you made it safe and sound...and can post. Miss you...

Anonymous said...

Que bien que llegaste! Lo siento muchisimo del equipaje. Cuando vas a recibirlo, sabes? Te ECHO DE MENOOOOOOOOOS!!!!