Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Goings On

Here are some life updates:

I have yet to mention that I was at "The Twilight Saga: New Moon" on opening day. This may shock those who know me well. I have never read Twilight nor seen the movie. In fact, I bypass everything related to R-Patz on Perez. I don't know what Team I'm on. Team Good Writing? Is that possible here? Doesn't seem like it.

So, why was I there? I have some great teacher friends who are into the books and I just wanted the girl time. After years of refusing to get on the bandwagon...with Titanic and Harry Potter, for example...I am starting to cave. Mostly because I don't know what else to do. But, I did get some fun hours with my friends, which makes me feel better about the world.

My thoughts on the flick: It was entertaining but not good. I was scoffing out loud at the dialogue (and why did I learn to spell dialogue this way?). The writing was completely ridiculous. But, I see why people like the story. Us ladies love the romance. And after being at the theatre on opening day with all the screaming girls (literally...screaming the whole time), I already have the next in the saga on my calendar for June. It was kind of like being at "Up" with all the kids. It's just a better movie-going experience when everyone around you is fully engaged and has been holding their breath for this day. The theatre was about three-quarters full, but as soon as we excited (around 7pm), the lobby was busting. Busting! I have never seen so many people at the movies before. We saw about 25 of our students. Some of them, I wish we hadn't seen. But that's because of their state, not ours. Ugh!

My new laptop comes Tuesday. I'm so excited about a battery that is not dead (I have been unable to leave my room with my computer since May), Windows 7, and all the hard drive space I should need for the next three years. And it has a web cam...so video Skyping can commence! Did I really need a new computer? Of course not. But, I think it is going to make my life a bit easier. And I need that these days. I'm looking for anything I can get.

And for the record, I love my name. I wouldn't change it for anything (except I wish people knew how to spell it when I say it). And mom says that about 1.39% of people have B negative blood. That's cool, right?

Working in a retail store, I have now learned how to shoplift. I will not share this knowledge, nor will I attempt anything even close, but it's knowledge nonetheless.

I burned my chin today. I got a bit too close to my cup of tea as I was trying to warm up. So, I have a nice linear blister on my chin. And I have a new haircut. Short (shoulder-length) and darker...I had to get rid of that box color that PP convinced me to do last summer.

I am faking positivity these days. This year at school is about a 5.5 out of 10. 5.5 because it's more good than bad, but I think I've rated it pretty accurately. For the first time in my career, I don't want to go to school tomorrow. Sad.

Here's to riding the fixed gear this week and doing my best to avoid animal products. More to come when I have time.

2 comments:

Ali said...

Good recap. I think it is always good to have a rare blood type--you'll never forget it and it is a great conversation starter. I totally hear you on the shoplifting as a former retailer myself (although, the blatant person who comes in with a huge bag, bends down and swipes a whole stack of sweaters on a front table was my favorite...nothing like watching security run down a shoplifter in Sol Po Mall). Finally, sorry about not wanting to go to school, but glad you are giving yourself the 0.5 extra on the positivity scale. Sometimes it takes just that much extra to get through the day. I think I'll take .5 today, too.

Bec said...

Remember also: it's that time of year when all teachers are hitting the low point and no one really wants to get out of bed when it's dark out and your kids are falling asleep b/c they need a break too.

Sometimes my most fun days are the days I dread most... let's hope this next three weeks breezes by.

I LOVE YOU!!!! Hope we can hang this weekend.