Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Big Day

Today...
I turned 29 and 4/12.
I voted (first in line, of course).
I donated blood for the first time.

When I was in high school, I was on acne medicine that required me to get my blood tested every month. On the first day I had to get blood drawn, I was waiting for my mom to pick me up. It was snowing that day and I decided to wait outside (I love the snow). I was outside for maybe 30 minutes and my doctor was only about five minutes away. Because I was still so cold when I got to the appointment, it took foooorrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrrr to fill the vial. My blood was just not flowing. I've never been good with medical procedures...don't touch my knees, neck, or stick things down my throat...but that sealed the deal on needles. Since then, I was a disaster when it came to getting blood drawn.

What made today different? After 29 and 4/12 years? Today, the blood drive was at my school and I had tons of encouragement and support from my colleagues and kids. Two colleagues came and sat with me and one of my students changed his appointment so he could get blood drawn with me at lunch (I think he has a crush on me...but all the 16 and 17 year old boys love me...it's just the ones my age that don't even notice I exist). I was so grateful they were there; I couldn't have done it without them.

It's amazing how much you can do with a community supporting you. I was thinking that I definitely wouldn't have donated if I had to go to a random place and sit around with strangers. I hope we have another next semester.

No comments: